Central Northern Location
Premier Whale Watching Destination
- John Cabot Landed here, so why don’t you
- Central to Cape Breton Island activities hiking, cycling, kayaking, golfing, fishing and camping.
- 15 minutes off the Cabot Trail.
- Home to Cabot’s Landing and St. Paul Island.
- 20 minutes from Meat Cove, the most scenic drive in the province.
- Adjacent to Cape Breton’s Largest Protected Area, Polletts Cove-Aspy Fault.
- The peninsula’s of Northern Cape Breton form the most remote, protected Bay in the province a natural haven for marine life.
- Nova Scotia’s northernmost Coastline: the pinnacle of Cape Breton culture, seafood and the Highlands.
Bay St. Lawrence, located at the Top of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, is ideally situated for whale watching. The Gulf Stream from the South brings a warm current, which meets with arctic waters just outside Bay St. Lawrence. This mixture of warm and cold water creates an ideal habitat for sea life resulting in the waters surrounding Bay St. Lawrence to be rich with a variety of fish, birds, dolphins, seals and whales.
In addition, the towering Highland mountains are literally rising from the sea in this region. These beautiful oceanside mountains help create a unique ecosystem, both under and above water, which supports the abundant wildlife of the area. Each year the whales return to the Bay St. Lawrence area during the spring thaw, and stay until late fall-early winter, leaving before the drift ice comes.
Because of the abundant marine life, fresh, locally caught seafood, including lobsters, crab, oysters, muscles, cod, halibut, haddock, sole and mackerel, are available throughout Northern Cape Breton. In addition to whale watching, we encourage you to take advantage of everything Northern Cape Breton has to offer, such as museums, arts-cultural centres and guided outdoor tours. Furthermore, since Oshan Whale Watch tours from the Top of the Island, it is central to outdoor attractions on both the east and west sides of the island. This centrality means our whale tours offer the opportunity to see and do more with minimal travel time.